What is mouse DPI?
DPI stands for dots per inch. In simple language it means the length in inches that your mouse would move on screen when you move it a dot. To be more simple and accurate, it is a measure of the sensitivity or responsiveness of your mouse. A more responsive mouse would produce large changes on the screen as compared to a less responsive mouse, when it is moved.
The Science Behind DPI
Every laser mouse is equipped with a laser that throws its light on the surface underneath it. Then there is another device which absorbs that reflected light. Different surfaces absorb and reflect that light from the laser at different rates. A smooth shiny surface absorbs less light as compared to a rough dull surface. This variation in surfaces sends varying signals to the light absorbing device. This variation is then translated by the computer software into the movement of an optical mouse.
How to Change DPI In Windows 10 or Windows 7?
The DPI of a mouse can be changed manually with some very simple steps.
- Open control panel
There are different ways to approach the control panel, depending upon the windows that you are using. But we will not discuss that over here. When you open the control panel, you will see a list of apps and features. Carefully look for the icon, Mouse.
- Click the Icon Mouse. Soon a small window, with an image of a mouse, will appear as seen below.
As seen in the image there are 5 subheadings which open a different window tab. Each of these subheadings lead us to different features of the mouse. But what concerns us is the Pointer options.
- Click the Pointer Options
At the very top of this new window tab a scale is present. This scale is labeled slow and fast at either ends. This is where you can change the speed or the DPI of your mouse. If you intend to increase the DPI, move the scale mark to the right (fast) and vice versa. Adjust the scale mark as per to your preference. Make sure that you check it before closing, otherwise you will have to repeat the entire process.
- Press Apply
After adjusting the DPI of your mouse, press apply and then press OK. Congratulations, your settings are saved.
What is Mouse DPI used for?
For a normal computer user the movement of a mouse is not much of a concern, as far as it is working properly. But gamers and editors take it very seriously. In fact they are in search of mice that have a wide DPI range.
Professional gamers have a lot at stake when playing games. They have a reputation built through years of experience. So, they have to make sure that whatever device they are using is the best. From the large screen to cosy chair they take everything serious. Finally, a mouse is not something to be taken lightly too. In fact it is the most used and moved device of all the computer accessories. Gamers playing 3D games have got to rotate their character through the large screen they are looking at. Although this rotation is possible with a normal laser mouse. However, just being possible is not enough for professionals. As mentioned earlier, they have a lot at stakes, it is their career. They desire a mouse that delivers the required result with ease and perfection. So a mouse with special DPI features is what all professional gamers look for.
See More: Best Gaming Mouse for Small Hands
Is Higher DPI good for Gaming?
Many people ask this question and many others wrongly believe that a higher DPI means a good gaming experience. However, in single character games like PUBG, MOHA and IGI, it just makes your character turn around, fast. But at the same time it generates great difficulty in aiming. Because your mouse will produce greater changes when it is even slightly displaced, as per your DPI settings. So this really is a problem, and you can’t benefit from a higher DPI in a game unless you make a compromise on the aiming.
Some games like the PUBG have come out with an advanced mouse setting option for aiming. This option enables you to alter settings specifically for your aim. Evenmore, you can save different mouse settings for different scopes. The same can be done for mobile users.
The procedure to do this is pretty simple.
All you have to do is to go to settings, select sensitivity, scroll all the way down to ADS sensitivity. This is where you can select the mouse sensitivity for all scopes. A difference of 10-15 percent can produce an acceptable change so you don’t have to move the dot too much, otherwise you would have to come back to the settings and do all the stuff again.
For a 3D “strategy” game like Warcraft and Dota a mouse with a higher DPI is more preferable. A large screen and a good mouse can make you feel very easy in any strategy game. Since in such games you have to click on places that are far apart from one another on a screen. In DOTA for instance, you have to click on one corner of the screen and in another second you’ve got to click another. Although there is/are a character in strategy games, a 360 degree turn is not required.
How Can I Calculate My Mouse DPI?
Note:- For this procedure you should have a smooth mouse pad and a ruler.
Many mice have a low DPI but we can do some simple changes to have an acceptable DPI result. This can be done if we check (putting a tick) the accelerator option in the mouse settings. For most mice this is done by default. So to find the original DPI of a mouse you would want to unchecked the mouse accelerator option in the settings.
After unchecking the accelerator open the default paint app. Now before doing anything with the paint app you should have the ruler placed with your mouse so that you can measure a one inch movement accurately. For that to happen your ruler must be placed in a position that brings it adjacent to the mouse pad. Now bring the mouse to the end where the ruler is placed. The mouse and the ruler should be placed in a position where the ruler is able to measure any horizontal movement of the mouse.
After setting this arrangement now very delicately move the mouse horizontally from one end of the Paint app to the other end. The straightness of the line must be ensured and the movement of the mouse should not exceed 1 inch, since that’s what we are calculating.
When you have moved the mouse an inch you would notice that the line you just drew is not exactly horizontal. So, for better results it is recommended that the procedure be repeated 3 times at least.
Each time you move your mouse on the Paint app you would notice changes in numbers at the bottom left of this app. Those numbers are actually a measure of the DPI of your mouse.
See More: Mouse for AutoCAD Drafting
The first time you move your mouse an inch, note the number that appears at the bottom left of the paint app. Repeat this procedure for 3-5 different values. Now take out an average of the readings that you have got. The final result can be safely considered as the near accurate value of your mouse’s DPI.
Averaging a result of several experiments decreases the human error by many folds.
The human errors that can occur here are many. The inaccurate reading of the ruler by the user. The curvedness of the line drawn with the mouse. The roughness of the mouse pad all adds to the error.
PICTEK Gaming Mouse Wired [7200 DPI] [Programmable] [Breathing Light] Ergonomic Game USB Computer Mice RGB Gamer Desktop Laptop PC Gaming Mouse, 7 Buttons for Windows 7/8/10/XP Vista Linux, Black
$13.99 out of stock
- [Excellent gaming performance with 7200 dpi and 4 polling rate]pictek t7 programmable gaming mice, default five dpi levels available from 1200/2400/3500/5500/7200 dpi. With two dpi button, you can adjust the dpi easily to get high accuracy and consistent responsiveness at any speed. 4 polling rate is adjustable: 125hz/250hz/500hz/1000hz, polling rate ensures smooth and high-speed movement, up to 1000hz makes it faster and more accurate than ordinary mouse.
- [All mouse buttons are programmable] support macro editing, 7 mouse buttons can be programmed by pictek easy-to-program gaming software which makes the mouse more intelligent and meets more demands for different games. Great value and control fps gaming mouse, also excellent for moba/ rts games (driver disk included or download the software from brand website, see instructions for details). Compatible with windows 10, windows 8, windows 7, windows xp, vista, linux etc. ( Note: no programming function for mac system).
- [16 million color fancy cool led backlit] 16 million color options for the backlight setting to match your style. Easily shut on and off the backlight with the convenient switch on the bottom. Plus, adopts high-definition optical gaming sensor, ensure quickly switch for different games. Mode selection: steady on/breathing/flicker+light effect/steady on+light effect. Color: red blue green purple yellow.
- [Ergonomic design] pictek t7 with symmetrical & streamlined provides a comfortable claw-grip design, long-term use without fatigue. Top choice for computer game players to keep your grip firmly during game play. Excellent cool wired pc gaming mouse for casual gamers. Comes with 5 foot, 3mm strong high-speed fiber cable.
- [Reliable quality & service] pictek t7 pc gaming mouse, 30 million clicks lifespan , intricate polish manufacturing processes and meticulous assembly provide the functional reliability of the mouse for years. Pictek will spare no effort to provide the satisfied service to every customer, keep in touch with us when you meet any problem, we will reply you within 12 hours to help you.
Razer Viper Mini – Wired Gaming Mouse
- Lightest, Zero-Compromise Miniature Mouse: 10% Smaller Than the Viper and lighter at 61g, with a 8500 DPI optical sensor befitting the most serious gamers without the need for drilling holes in the chassis like competitor mice
- Faster Than Traditional Mechanical Switches: Razer optical mouse switches uses light beam-based actuation, registering button presses at the speed of light for absolute control
- Customizable Chroma RGB Color Profiles & Underglow: Includes 16.8 million color combinations w, included preset profiles
- 6 Programmable Buttons: Allows for reconfiguration and assignment of complex macro functions through Razer Synapse 3
- Drag-Free Cord for Wireless-Like Performance: Razer Speedflex cables eliminate the need for mouse bungees, drastically reducing weight and drag
Razer DeathAdder Essential – Right-handed Gaming Mouse White Edition – CHS Packaging
$33.45 in stock
- Gaming Mouse (2018 model)
PICTEK Gaming Mouse Wired, 8 Programmable Buttons, Chroma RGB Backlit, 7200 DPI Adjustable, Comfortable Grip Ergonomic Optical PC Computer Gaming Mice with Fire Button, Black (Upgraded Version)
- 【Excellent gaming performance with 7200 DPI and 4 polling rate】 PICTEK T16 gaming mouse with default 5 DPI levels available from 1200 to 7200 DPI. Easily adjust to instantly match mouse speed to different games. 4 polling rate is adjustable: 125Hz/250Hz/500Hz/1000Hz, polling rate ensures smooth and high-speed movement.
- 【Chroma RGB backlit for extreme gaming experience】 upgraded version of PICTEK T7, with Chroma RGB lighting, up to 16. 8 million colors to fit your mood. Easily shut on AND off the backlight or change the color mode with the convenient switch on the bottom. Plus, adopts impressive optical gaming sensor, ensure quickly switch for different games.
- 【8 programmable buttons & fire button】 support macro editing, 8 mouse buttons can be programmed with PICTEK easy-to-program gaming software. The rapid Fire button gives you the edge you need during those intensive FPS battles. Great value FPS gaming mouse, also excellent for MOBA/ RTS games. (Driver Disk included)
- 【Ergonomic Design】 T16 with symmetrical & streamlined provides a comfortable claw-grip design, long-term use without fatigue. Top choice for computer game players. Excellent wired PC gaming mouse for casual gamers.
- 【Reliable quality & PICTEK Service】 T16 PC gaming mouse, 20 million clicks lifespan, buttons with neat rebound and good feedback. PICTEK will spare no effort to provide the best service to every customer, feel free to contact us when you meet any problem, you will be replied within 12 hours.
Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse – 16,000 DPI 5G Advanced Optical Sensor
$91.10 in stock
- Gaming Peripherals Manufacturer in the US: Source The NPD Group, Inc. U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Keyboards, Mice, PC Headset/Pc Microphone, Gaming Designed, based on dollar sales, 2017-2021
- High-Precision 16,000 DPI Optical Sensor: Offers on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment through dedicated DPI buttons (reprogrammable) for gaming. Switch Lifecycle: 50 Million Clicks
- Customizable Chroma RGB Color Profiles: Includes 16.8 million color combinations w/ included preset profiles
- Improved, Ergonomic Design: Rubberized side grips reduce fatigue over long use sessions
- Ridged, Rubberized Scroll Wheel for Maximum Accuracy: Small, tactile bumps increases grip and helps with more controlled scrolling in high-stakes gaming situations
WFB Wireless Mouse Rechargeable Optical Mouse with USB Receiver Portable Gaming ,Office Mice 3 Adjustable DPI Levels,6 Buttons for PC,Laptop,Computer,Notebook,MacBook Black
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Wireless gaming mouse designed for long time comfort use,ergonomic grip and non-slip rubberized scroll wheel for a comfortable grip and precision control. Over 3 million times click,12m long working distance.
- 3 ADJUSTABLE DPI LEVELS: Mac Gaming Mice, is designed with 3 adjustable DPI levels 1000,1600,2400 to meet different needs, comes with a Nano receiver (stored in the back of the mouse). No need any driver, and you can plug and play the wireless mouse directly.
- NOISELESS CLICKING: Silent click button to help reduce 92% noises, you can use this mice in any place without worrying about disturbing others,making it best choice of wireless mouse.
- AUTO SLEEPING FUNCTION: Gaming mouse will be in sleeping mode If it is not used after 10 minutes to save energy, then simply press any button to wake it up. Also extra on?/on/off switch button at the bottom Also can be used to control with three options: mouse on with LED light/ mouse off/ mouse on without LED light.
- INTELLIGENT CHARGING: Wireless mouse adopted Fast charging chip come with USB charging cable, you can recharge and use 2.4G wireless mouse easily. Low battery indicator will remind you to charge it with flashing red light. 2 hours quick full charge can lasts up to 60 days, you no longer have to worry about replacing the battery.
Redragon M690-1 Wireless Gaming Mouse with DPI Shifting, 2 Side Buttons, 2400 DPI, Ergonomic Design, 8 Buttons-Black
$19.99 in stock
- 5 Adjustable DPI – With 2 DPI buttons, it is easier for you to switch among 5 DPI (800/1200/1600/2000/2400) and flashing light will indicate you which DPI you are. Two polling rate: 125Hz and 250Hz. This wireless gaming mouse helps you to control the speed and sensitivity of mouse more freely.
- Comfort & Precision At Your Fingertips – The Redragon wireless gaming mouse is an essential computer accessory for die-hard gamers! You will be amazed by the unmatched comfort, lethal accuracy and killer precision of our durable, desktop and laptop pro gaming mouse! You can enjoy a wonderful clicking experience without disturbing others. It is an optimal choice in the office, library, dormitory or wherever you like.
- Advanced 2.4Ghz Wireless Technology – Discover the most responsive and comfortable Redragon Pro Wireless Gaming Mouse. The 2.4Ghz wireless enables working distance up to 10 meters (or approx. 30ft) with a little-to-no delay or signal drops. No any driver is required, just plug and play.
- Long Life Span & Power Saving – It has passed 10 million times keystroke test to guarantee extra durability. This wireless mouse will be in sleep mode in 8 minutes of inactivity and waken up quickly by pressing any button. Powered by 1*AA battery (not included) and easy to be replaced.
- Strong Compatibility – Works for Windows 7/8/10/XP/Vista/ME/2000/Mac10.x, etc. For Mac OS, the sided buttons are not available. Ideal for work or entertainment in home and office.
PICTEK Ergonomic Wired Gaming Mouse, 8 Programmable Buttons , 5 Levels Adjustable DPI up to 8000, Wired Computer Gaming Mice with 7 RGB Backlight Modes for PC, Laptop, MacBook
- 【Ergonomic Fit and Comfort】Designed with a deep analysis of the hand, like the inward thumb rest, the typical lengths of index and middle finger, the ring finger and little finger rest and the shape of palm, PICTEK ergonomic gaming mouse perfectly fits right-handed gamers. Help you reduce hand fatigue during long gaming sessions
- 【Total Immersion with RGB Backlight】Featuring 4 lighting zones, which include scroll wheel, left strip, right strip and logo, PICTEK wired gaming mouse with 7 adjustable RGB light modes enables you to customize your gaming aesthetics. Get immersive in your game with cool ambience
- 【8 Programmable Buttons and 5-Level DPI】5 levels of DPI available: 1200/2400/3500/5500/8000. With intuitive and professional software, PICTEK RGB gaming mouse enables you to get your desired balance of accuracy and precision by setting programmable buttons, customizing DPI, polling rate, speed of scroll wheel, RGB lighting modes and more. (Note: The program function is only available on Windows system.)
- 【Increase Your Chance of Winning】 Built with an independent fire (Triple click) button, PICTEK wired ergonomic gaming RGB mouse allows gamers to rapidly activate the constant gun shooting function by simply pressing once
- 【Durable Gaming Mouse】Smooth coating offers you comfortable grip and effortless control. Stylish RGB backlight and solid quality makes the mouse a reliable weapon when you gaming. Greatly satisfy the gaming needs of beginners
Redragon M711 Cobra Gaming Mouse with 16.8 Million RGB Color Backlit, 10,000 DPI Adjustable, Comfortable Grip, 7 Programmable Buttons
8 used from $15.99
- 5 DPI Options & Customized Function – 5 adjustable DPI levels (500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000) meet your multiple needs, either for daily work or gaming. DPI can be adjusted freely by ±100 from 100 to 10000, taking advantage of on-the-fly DPI switching to instantly match mouse speed to gameplay demands. Besides, the Mouse Point Speed setting in the software also allows you to mildly change the movement speed of the mouse to achieve the right fit mode for yourself.
- 7 Programmable Buttons & 16.8-million Lighting “Breathing” RGB – 7 (7 out of 9) programmable buttons enable superior productivity and efficiency to meet all your gaming needs. 5 memory profiles each with a dedicated light color for quick identification and 16-Million Color backlight ‘breathing’ RGB LED gives out ambient light and set you in a unique gaming atmosphere.
- Professional Programming Software – Adopted the latest professional gaming chip AVAGO to capture fast and accurate movement for precise control; 5 adjustable DPI settings-500/1000/2000/3000/5000, quickly adjustable for different gaming scenarios; 5000 FPS, 100IPS Maximum Tracking Speed, 20G acceleration.
- Comfort & Precision At Your Hands – The M711 Cobra gaming mouse is an essential computer accessory for die-hard gamers with its aggressive design for hands! You will be amazed by the unmatched comfort, lethal accuracy and killer precision of our durable, desktop and laptop pro gaming mouse! You can enjoy a wonderful clicking experience without disturbing others. It is an optimal choice in the office, library, dormitory or wherever you like.
- The Choice Of Die-hard Gamers – Whether you are targeting, aiming, slashing or attacking, a professional gaming mouse is your basic weapon! The mouse will be your ideal partner. Compatible with Windows 2000/ME/XP/03/VISTA/7/8/10 system for programmable using and Mac OS for normal using.
Logitech G305 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Gaming Mouse, Hero 12K Sensor, 12,000 DPI, Lightweight, 6 Programmable Buttons, 250h Battery Life, On-Board Memory, PC/Mac – Black
$34.99 in stock
- HERO Gaming Sensor: Next-gen HERO mouse sensor delivers up to 10x the power efficiency over other gaming mice with exceptional accuracy and responsiveness thanks to 400 IPS precision and up to 12000 DPI sensitivity
- LIGHTSPEED Wireless: Ultra-fast LIGHTSPEED Wireless technology gives you a lag-free gaming experience. The G305 wireless gaming mouse delivers incredible responsiveness and reliability with a super-fast 1ms report rate for competition-level performance. Mechanical Button Tensioning System
- Ultra-Long Battery Life: The G305 wireless Logitech mouse boasts an incredible 250 hours of continuous gameplay on a single AA battery so you can play at peak performance without worrying about running out of power
- Lightweight design: Thanks to an efficient mechanical design, the G305 gaming mouse weighs in at only 99 grams for high manoeuvrability
- Compact, portable design with convenient built-in storage for included USB wireless receiver. Max. speed: > 400 IPS